Chair, Graduate Program Coordinator, School of Food and Nutritional Sciences
Visiting Associate Professor,
Schulich Interfaculty Program in Public Health,
Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry
Adjunct Research Professor School of Graduate and Post-doctoral Studies
Office: Ursuline Hall 110
Telephone: 519-432-8353 ext 28020
- Ph D, Department of Nutritional Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, 2004
- MSc, Department of Nutritional Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, 1997
- Dietetic Internship, University Health Network (formerly The Toronto Hospital – General Division), 1990
- BSc, Home Economics (Foods and Nutrition), Brescia University College, 1989
- HE 2266F/G – Communications
- FN 3361B – Fundamentals of Community Nutrition
- HE 4411F – Research Methodology
- FN 9722B – Program Planning and Evaluation
- MPH 9006A – Developing Healthy Communities
Research and Scholarly Interests
- The School food environment and its impact on students eating behaviours
- Chronic disease prevention, particularly obesity and diabetes
- Nutrition education program planning and evaluation
- Dietitians of Canada, Member Recognition Award for Education, 2016
- Dean’s Honor Roll of Teaching, Awarded by the Academic Dean, Brescia University College, 2010, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
- George Beaton Award for Best Public Health Nutrition Abstract, Canadian Nutrition Society, 2014
- Canadian Nutrition Society Annual Conference, 1st Place Poster Award, 2014
- Honorable Mention Award for the Most Innovative Nutrition and Wellness Program (FRESH) in a North American post-secondary institution, National Association of College and University Food Services, 2014
- Brian Dufton Memorial Manuscript Award, Awarded by the Canadian Journal of Diabetes, 2003
- Funding in support of Experiential Learning for Food and Nutrition Graduates of Brescia University College, Awarded by Brescia University College Internal Research Grants
- Funding in support of Assessing a Food and Nutrition Questionnaire for Youth, Awarded by Brescia University College Internal Research Grants
- Funding in support of Food resources and education for student health in secondary schools (FRESH High): Adaptation, Implementation, and evaluation of a peer nutrition education program, Awarded by the Ontario Ministry of Education
- Funding in support of LUNCHES – Let’s Understand Nutrition and Children’s Health in Elementary Schools, Awarded by the Canadian Institute of Health Research (CIHR)
- Funding in support of Temperature of perishable food items in packed lunches, Awarded by Brescia University College Internal Research Grants
- Funding in support of Survey of Food and Nutrition Skills and Behaviours of University Students, Awarded by Brescia University College Internal Research Grants
- Funding in support of A community-based lifestyle education program for adults with prediabetes, Awarded by the Lawson Foundation
- Funding in support of Food Intake in the Balanced School Day vs Traditional Schedule: Inter-observer Reliability, Awarded by Brescia University College Internal Research Grants
- Funding in support of Literature Review and Key Informant Interviews re: a valid and reliable population-based tool to measure fruit and vegetable consumption of 4–9 year olds, Awarded by Middlesex London Health Unit
- Dworatzek P. Sugar Sweetened Beverages. Middlesex London Board of Health, March 2016.
- Matthews J, Zok A, Dworatzek P. Foodservice Partnership Adds Value While Improving Student Health. National Association of College & University Food Services – National Conference, Baltimore, Maryland, 2014.
- Dworatzek P, Zok A, Matthews J. Catalysts for Change: University Food Services, Dietitians of Canada Annual Conference, Ottawa ON, June 2014
- Dworatzek P, Martin L, Macaskill L, Salvadori M, Seabrook J. Students’ Packed Lunches in Balanced School Day and Traditional Schools: How do they differ?, Nutrition Resource Centre Webinar, Ontario Public Health Association, May 8, 2014
Neilson LJ, Macaskill LA, Luk JMH, Sharma N, Killip SM, Salvadori MI, Seabrook JA, Dworatzek PDN. Elementary school home-packed lunches: observations of foods packed and eaten in the traditional vs. balanced school day schedule. Canadian Journal of Dietetic Practice and Research. In Press.
Stein RI, Doulla MD, Seabrook JA, Yau L, Hamilton N, Salvadori MI, Dworatzek PDN. Impact of the balanced school day on glycemic control in children with type 1 diabetes. Canadian Journal of Diabetes. In Press.
Campbell EE, Dworatzek PDN, Penava D, deVrijer B, Gilliland J, Matthews JI, Seabrook JA. Factors that Influence Excessive Gestational Weight Gain: Moving Beyond Assessment and Counselling. Journal of Maternal-Fetal & Neonatal Medicine. In Press. EPub ahead of print: http://dx.doi.org/10.3109/14767058.2015.1137894
Dworatzek PDN, Stier J. Dietitians’ attitudes and Beliefs Regarding Peer Education in Nutrition. Canadian Journal of Dietetic Practice and Research. In Press. 2016;77. DOI: 10.3148/cjdpr-2016-009.
Twynstra J, Dworatzek P. Use of an Experiential Learning Assignment to Prepare Future Health Professionals to Utilize Social Media for Nutrition Communications. Canadian Journal of Dietetic Practice and Research. 2016;77:30–34.
Matthews JI, Doerr L, Dworatzek PD. University students intend to eat better, but lack coping self-efficacy and knowledge of dietary recommendations. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior. 2016;48:12-19.
Wu TF, Macaskill LA, Salvadori MI, Dworatzek PDN. Is the Balanced School Day Truly Balanced? A Review of the Impacts on Children, Families, and School Food Environments. Journal of School Health. 2015;85:405-410.
Matthews JI, Zok AV, Quenneville EPM, Dworatzek PDN. Development and implementation of FRESH – a post-secondary nutrition education program incorporating population strategies, experiential learning and intersectoral partnerships. Canadian Journal of Public Health. 2014;105(4):e306-e311
Dworatzek P., Arcudi K., Gougeon R., Husein N., Sievenpiper J., Williams S. Nutrition Therapy. Canadian Diabetes Association Clinical Practice Guidelines. Canadian Journal of Diabetes. 2013;37:S45-S55.
Sievenpiper JL, Dworatzek PDN. Food and dietary pattern based recommendations: An emerging approach to clinical practice guidelines for nutrition therapy in diabetes. Canadian Journal of Diabetes. 2013;37:51-57.
Richter S., Vandervet L., Macaskill L., Salvadori M., Seabrook J., Dworatzek, P. Accuracy and Reliability of Direct Observations of Home-Packed Lunches in Elementary Schools by Trained Nutrition Students. Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. 2012;112:1603–1607.
Matthews J., Dworatzek P. ‘Millennial’ Graduate Students’ Use of Technology and Problem-Based Learning to Enhance Higher-Level Cognition in Health Promotion Program Planning. American Journal of Health Sciences. 2012;3(3)195–199.
Recommendations for Nutrition Best Practice in the Management of Gestational Diabetes Mellitus. Canadian Journal of Dietetic Practice and Research, 67 (4):206–208, 2006.
Dworatzek P.D.N., Hegele R.A., Wolever T.M.S. Postprandial lipemia in subjects with the T54 variant of fatty acid-binding protein 2 (FABP2) gene is dependent on the type of fat ingested. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 79(6):1110–1117, 2004.
Dworatzek P.D.N., Hegele R.A., Wolever T.M.S. Associations between metabolic phenotypes vary with the codon 54 polymorphism of fatty acid-binding protein 2 gene. Canadian Journal of Diabetes. 26(4):349-355, 2002.
Nesbitt P.D., Lam Y., & Thompson L.U. Human metabolism of mammalian lignan precursors in raw and processed flaxseed. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 69:549-555, 1999.
Nesbitt P.D., & Thompson L.U. Lignans in homemade and commercial products containing flaxseed. Nutrition and Cancer, 29:222-227, 1997.
Dworatzek P., Lenhardt L., He M., Battram D., & Murkin E. Measuring Fruit And Vegetable Consumption In 4–9 Year Olds: A Search For A Valid And Reliable Population-Based Tool. PHRED program, Middlesex London Health Unit. Submitted to the Ontario Ministry of Health Promotion, March 2008. Executive summary available at: http://www.phred-redsp.on.ca/Docs/Reports/Executive%20Summary%20Final.pdf.
Yantzi L. & Dworatzek P. Journeying Toward Cultural Competence. Practice: Exploring Members’ Practice Issues, Dietitians of Canada, Issue 43, Fall 2008. Available at: http://www.dietitians.ca/Downloadable-Content/Members-Only/Issue_43_Practice_Fall2008.aspx.
Wolfs W., Brown S., Dworatzek P., Morrison C., West R., & Freiheit D. Position Statement on the Indirect Costs of Research. Health Charities Coalition of Canada. May 2007. Available at: http://www.healthcharities.ca/position-statements.html.
Freiheit D., Brown S., Dworatzek P., Morrison C., West R., & Wolfs W. Position Statement on Registration of Clinical Trials. Health Charities Coalition of Canada. May 2006. Available at: http://www.healthcharities.ca/position-statements.html.
Diabetes Task Force: Report to the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care. 2004. Available at: http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/common/ministry/publications/reports/diabetes_taskforce/diabetes_taskforce.pdf
- Canadian Nutrition Society
- College of Dietitians of Ontario
- Dietitians of Canada
- International Federation of Home Economics
- Ontario Home Economics Association
- Canadian Public Health Association
- Ontario Public Health Association
- Canadian Diabetes Association
- Canadian Obesity Network
- Ontario Society for Nutrition Professionals in Public Health
- Director, Canadian Foundation for Dietetic Research, 2015-present
- Member of SUPR-G, Western University, 2016-present
- Brescia Faculty Association, Treasurer, 2015-present
- CIHR, Peer Review Committee Member, 2013, 2014
- Brescia Faculty Association, Contract Negotiation Committee, 2012-2013
- Chair, Research Ethics Board, Brescia University College, 2010–2014
- Member, Research Ethics Board, Brescia University College, 2007–2010
Past Work Experience
- Canadian Diabetes Association, Director of Research Programs, 2003–2007
- The Anne Johnston Health Station, Community Health Centre Dietitian, 1992–2001 (part-time)
- York Community Services, Community Health Centre Dietitian, March 1994–Aug. 1994 (contract)
- Four Villages Community Health Centre, Dietitian, Sept. 1993 – April 1994 (contract)
- Victorian Order of Nurses, Toronto, Home-Visiting Clinical Dietitian, 1990–1993