At Brescia we have strong French programs created to meet the challenges of your future profession, whether it be in teaching, business, marketing, law, government, information technology, nutrition and foodservice, banking, or industry, and advertising. Small student-centred classes where learning is achieved through instructional technologies, individual work, group work, interactive exercises, and presentations, allow the focus to be on you and your learning.
Profs get to know you quickly and are interested in your success. Course content is designed with your best interests in mind. Over the four years of your French program we promise that you will get a solid foundation in both oral and written French.
Modules in French
- Honors Specialization in French Language and Literature
- Honors Specialization in French Linguistics and Literature
- Honors Specialization in French Language and Linguistics
- Specialization in French Studies
- Major in French Studies
- Major in French for Teaching
- Minor in French Studies
- Minor in French for Food and Nutritional Sciences
What will you be learning?
In French Language courses, you will:
- understand why “things are said the way they are in French”
- have excellent instruction in French pronunciation and phonetics
- greatly improve your spoken and written French
- learn French as it is spoken in everyday life so that you will understand what “the locals” and French menus are really saying
- recognize common mistakes made by Anglophones in speaking French
In French Literature courses, you will:
- learn about French and Quebecois culture
- read some of the great masterpieces of French, Quebecois, and World Literatures
- have direct contact with the French language
- observe how French grammar rules are actually used
- learn to express your thoughts better in both oral and written French
- participate in engaging discussions on the real-life situations of fictional characters
- be surprised to learn much about other subjects such as Psychology, Sociology, History, Religion, Philosophy, and Geography
The full-time faculty members are:
The contract faculty members are:
- Mr. Kenan Fanni
- Ms. Heather Kirk
- Dr. Carmen McCarron
Guaranteed Admission to the Faculty of Education at Western
Brescia University College students can apply for guaranteed admission to the Faculty of Education. This applies to students interested in teaching at the Junior/Intermediate with a teachable in French, or Intermediate/Senior with a first teachable in French.
Students interested in teaching at the Primary/Junior should apply to the Faculty of Education through the regular process.
Complete the Application for Guaranteed Admission form during Year 2 or Year 3. Completed forms with required supporting documentation can be submitted to The Hive at Brescia. Please review the application form for specific requirements.
For more information, please contact Jennifer Coghlin, Associate Registrar, Student Success (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Your degree in French will prepare you for the following possible careers. Some careers may require additional education or training:
- Language Specialist
- Foreign Correspondent
- ESL Translator
- Communications Specialist
- Human Resources Worker
- Policy Analyst